Glass Coffee Mugs vs Ceramic: Is Glass Sturdier?
Coffee mugs come in countless shapes, sizes, and materials like glass, ceramic, and even plastic. But when you are looking for a mug that is durable, which type should you choose? Is a glass mug sturdier than one crafted from ceramic?
Ceramic Coffee Mug Pros
- Lightweight — Ceramic mugs are often lighter in weight than their glass counterparts. This makes them easier to carry without the risk of breakage.
- Impact Resistant — Since ceramic is made from molded clay, it is more resistant to impact damage.
- Heat Retention — Ceramic is a better heat insulator than glass, meaning it is better at locking in heat.
Glass Coffee Mug Pros
- Impressively Sturdy — Even though it is made from a less-dense material than ceramic, when properly cared for, a glass mug is sturdier than ceramic.
- Overview Advantage — The transparency of glass makes it easier to watch the coffee level inside of the mug.
- Cleaning — Glass is nonporous and resists holding onto coffee stains and odors, meaning it is easier to clean and reuse.
In conclusion, when weighing the pros and cons of both types of coffee mugs, it is apparent that glass mugs are sturdier than their ceramic counterparts. They are able to withstand heavier use and even with years of everyday use, a glass mug won’t easily break or crack. Glass mugs are not only more reliable, but they are also easier to clean and maintain.